Last night I had difficulty falling asleep, so I tried several breathing techniques to calm my mind. I realized that I am using my computer and cell phone more often than usual. I have to be careful of digital overload and make sure I take breaks from technology.
The breathing technique that worked the best to calm my mind and body was Ujjayi Breathing or Pranayama. To perform a simplified version of Ujjayi breathing:
- Start to breathe in and out through your nose, naturally.
- Empty all the air in your lungs. Then take a slow, deep breath through both nostrils. The passage of the incoming air is felt on the roof of the palate and makes a sound (sa).
- Exhale slowly through both nostrils. The passage of the outgoing air is felt on the roof of the palate and makes a sound (ha).
- Repeat the cycles for five to ten minutes.
- Ujjayi breathing sounds like the ebb and flow of the ocean.