Lately, I’ve been thinking about my family and friends. My relationships are important to me. I need to let my family and friends know that they matter to me. Life is short. We need to put more energy and focus on the people that we care about the most. Be kind to strangers too – we are one big family.
There are several ways that you can show your loved ones that they matter to you:
- Put your cell phone away during conversations (turn off your cell phone is even better).
- Focus on each moment. Don’t have a “rushed” attitude.
- Put both feet on the floor to become grounded.
- Focus your attention on your loved one – act as if you have all the time in the world to be with him or her.
- Repeat back what your loved one says – to confirm that you are actively listening.
- Remember you are eternal – you have unlimited time.
“Thank you for being there, for not being one of the too-many who are not. Thank you for telling me keep yourself special but letting me figure out what that meant. —Dear Father.” By, Emily Byrnes